1 cup lentils (rinsed)
2 cups vegetable broth
3 cups water
1 peeled and chopped carrot
1/2 cup reconstituted, chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 chopped medium onion
1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
freshly ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add all other ingredients and bring to boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
Buy the What Dawn Eats: Vegan food that isn’t weird cookbook for more recipes like this one.
- Add 1/2 cup rice and an additional 1 cup water.
- Experiment with additional spices. Oregano and thyme would make good choices.
- Make a spicy soup by adding some crushed red pepper or chopped chili peppers.
- Add a few mushrooms, broccoli or other vegetables.
- Naturally gluten-free and can be easily made low-sodium by substituting water from reconstituting the sun-dried tomatoes in place of the vegetable broth.
More information for Lentil Soup with Tomato and Basil recipe:
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 40 min
- Total time: 50 min