2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1 orange
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
3 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried minced onions
1 teaspoon cumin
3 chopped chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon adobo sauce
Combine all ingredients and stir or whisk to combine.
- Dial back on the chipotle peppers if you want something a little less spicy.
- You could also substitute your favorite spicy chipotle hot sauce to taste in place of the chili peppers and adobo.
- Use this marinade to brush on vegetables before you grill them for a Mexican grilled vegetable meal.
- Can easily be made gluten-free and low-sodium.
More information for Mexican Marinade recipe:
- Prep time: 15 min
- Total time: 15 min
Baked Mexican Marinated Tofu
1 14 ounce package of firm or extra firm tofu
1 batch Mexican Marinade recipe (see above)
Slice the tofu into 4 or 5 even pieces. Press the tofu to reduce excess moisture by placing a towel on the counter and wrapping the tofu in the towel*. Place a cutting board on top of the tofu and place something heavy on top (cast iron skillet, a couple of cans of tomatoes, etc.) Let sit for 5 minutes. Rearrange the tofu to a dry part of the towel or on a new towel, and press again for about 5 minutes.
Place the tofu in a plastic zipper bag or shallow container. Pour the Mexican Marinade over the tofu and make sure all of the tofu is covered. Marinade for 1 to 3 hours turning the tofu a few times to make sure that all sides are evenly marinated.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray or brush a little oil on a cookie sheet. Place the tofu on the oiled cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes turning once after the first 10 minutes.
- Experiment with other marinades.
- If you like your tofu less soft in the middle, bake it at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, again turning them over at the halfway mark.
- This is also excellent when cooked on the grill.
- Pan Fried Tofu: spray or brush a large, heavy skillet with a small amount of oil. Over medium heat, add the tofu and cook for 5 to 10 minutes on each side.
- Can be easily made low-sodium and gluten-free.
More information for Baked Mexican Marinated Tofu recipe:
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Total time: 30 min
* Note: If you have fuzzy kitchen towels, you’ll probably want to wrap it in a paper towel first to avoid getting fuzzy lint on your tofu.