This is one of my favorite ways to use a few handfuls of veggies languishing and almost forgotten in the produce drawer of the refrigerator. This can even be a quick meal if you buy one of those pre-cut bags of broccoli and cauliflower and use baby carrots. Makes 2 to 4 servings.
4 cups chopped broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots (combined)
2 teaspoons olive oil
salt, pepper, and freshly ground coriander seed to taste.
1 recipe Tahini Sauce
Place oven rack in top position. Preheat oven to 450.
Toss veggies with 2 teaspoons olive oil and place on large cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and ground coriander. Bake on top rack for 15 minutes for crisp vegetables.
Serve topped with tahini sauce.
- Main Meal: Serve over your favorite whole grain for a main meal version.
- Great with any other vegetables or add a little onion and garlic for variety.
- The tahini sauce is particularly good with cauliflower, especially if you turn it after 15 minutes and cook for an extra 10 minutes until it starts to brown.
- Omit the salt and use a reduced sodium tahini sauce for a low-sodium version.
- Can be easily made gluten-free.
More information for Baked Veggies with Tahini Sauce recipe:
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Total time: 30 min
This is a lighter, less saucy, baked version of something similar to Aloo Gobi, but without the potatoes. I think it’s a nice compliment to the Chana Masala and Creamy Red Lentil Dal when served together in a big Indian meal with rice or naan. Makes 4 servings.
1 medium head cauliflower
3 cloves minced garlic
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
1 tablespoon freshly ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
red pepper flakes to taste
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut the cauliflower into medium sized florets and place in a large mixing bowl.
In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together olive oil and all of the spices except for the cilantro. Drizzle the oil and spice mixture over the cauliflower. Add the cilantro and stir to combine. Add a little more oil if it seems too dry for your taste.
Transfer spiced cauliflower mixture to a glass baking dish. Cook covered for about 30 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. Stir once or twice during baking.
- For the saucy version, add some chopped or pureed tomatoes.
- Substitute potatoes for some of the cauliflower. You might need to cut the potatoes into smaller chunks or plan to cook it a little longer with the potatoes.
- Can be easily made low-sodium and gluten-free.
More information for Indian Spiced Cauliflower recipe:
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Total time: 50 min
Vegan Food That Isn't Weird